Okay, part two of the 2014 SB Wine Awards – the red wines!
While I won’t provide reviews for these wines, I will give you some context, as the vintages covered here were quite a bit different and had an impact on the red wines (more so than the white wines).
There are a couple of 2010s here, which were late releases. 2010 was a good year for BC wines in Okanagan, with no real rain problems. 2011, however, was the opposite! I heard from many producers over the last year or so what a challenge it was that year, with cool temperatures and lots of rain. As a result, many red wines were unripe, showing green, woody flavours and not a lot of ripe fruit. So kudos to the producers who made good wines from that year!
The early released 2012’s show what a ripe vintage it was (something the whites showed last year), and the couple of 2013s…well, next year’s releases should be staggering, let’s just put it that way!
So here it goes with the reds! For tasting notes, you can either check out the tweets from my recent trip to the Okanagan (follow me @sbwinepage), or my new BC Wine Guide, which has tasting notes for past vintages of many of these wines as well (www.sbwinesite.com).
• 2010 Marichel ($40)
• 2011 Nichol Vineyards ($34)
• 2011 Burrowing Owl ($30)
• 2012 Moraine ($25)
• 2010 Mt. Lehman ($25)
• 2011 Moon Curser ($25)
• 2012 Perseus ($20)
• 2011 Blue Mountain Reserve ($36)
• 2011 Kettle Valley Hayman ($33)
• 2011 Kettle Valley Reserve ($33)
• 2012 La Frenz Reserve ($32)
• 2010 Averill Creek ($26)
• 2012 Eau Vivre ($20)
• 2011 & 2012 La Frenz ($26)
• 2011 Cassini Cellars ($18)
• 2012 Quail’s Gate Old Vines ($25)
• 2013 Lang ($19)
• 2011 Laughing Stock Portfolio ($42)
• 2011 La Frenz Grand Total ($40)
• 2011 Moon Curser Border Vines ($25)
• 2011 & 2012 La Frenz Cabernet Sauvignon ($28)
• 2011 Church & State Cabernet Sauvignon ($25)
• 2012 Moraine Malbec ($25)
There you go! Another shopping list for you!
Tags: Averill Creek, bcwine, Blue Mountain, Bordeaux, Burrowing Owl, Cabernet, Cassini Cellars, Church & State, Eau Vivre, Kettle Valley, La Frenz, Lang, Laughing Stock Winery, Leisure, Life, Malbec, Marichel, Merlot, Moon Curser, moraine winery, Mt. Lehman, Naramata, Nichol Vineyards, Okanagan, perseus, Pinot Noir, Quails Gate, red wines, Syrah, Travel